Bloom!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

To Sun or Not to Sun that is the Question

Today I finally visited my Dermatologist,  and why is it men don't seem to age?  My Doc was always a  handsome man even twenty five years ago when I first started visiting his office. Today I told him he looked younger  than he did  the last time I saw him.  Seven years ago was my last visit!    He replied,  "you just need stronger glasses that's all",  and we laughed as he got that little twinkle  in his eye!   A real "Charmer" that one, as he held the little Q tip dipped in ice and  touched it's tip to several spots on my face.  It felt like the freezing cold tip of an ice berg  as he held it in place for several seconds, before moving on to do a few more.  He also said I had some barnacles, but not to worry about them, they were harmless! 

Why do barnacles like to attach themselves to my Irish skin anyways?  I can thank my Irish father for he and I have the same type of skin, and my English, German, MuM  was born with  smooth, beautiful skin.  Of course, she would swim in our pool with a hat on, and never went out in the sun without sunscreen (after it was invented), but my silly Dad and I love the sun, and  we'd go out in it all day long,  ala natural, meaning no sun block whatsoever.   Dummies!

Results:   I'm getting a little something on my back biopsied and I'll need to call my Doc's office on Thursday to check on it.  If it's something I'll have to go back to (my Cutie Pie's) office and get it cut out , and stitched up.  Won't be the first time I had a little something taken off, by one of the best Dermatologist on this Rock, and  so I'm in good hands.  With all the sun lovers here, he is up to his cute, twinkling eyeballs with patients that have had too much sun exposure over their life times.   I told my own son, to study Dermatology, and  to open a practice here in the islands because he would do very well.   His reply, "No way, I wouldn't want to look at someone's  moles all day long".  Okay, so it's not for everyone! 

I hope everyone has scheduled an appointment with your Doc this season, because it's very important to stay current.  I no longer have the luxury of lounging in the sun like a lizard on a rock, but I do take Vitamin D, since Dr. Oz said that it's one of the most important supplements we need to take on a daily basis.  The Great Oz has spoken.
Have a great week everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Great Post Kasey! Ya know, I was just thinking to my self, maybe I will keep my tan going from my trip by doing another month in the tanning beds, but after reading this, I dont think I will. I now, as a skin care consultant, the damaging effects of the sun, and while I truly dont abuse it, I love the look of a tan! Makes you feel so good and you look vibrant and healthy. I too have had a couple of moles removed and just took care of a man the other day with a malignant melanoma on his back. It was his 2nd surgery on it and they had to go in and do a wider excision of it and he ended up with a drain coming out of it!!! Yikes!! He said it started out as a mole the size of an eraser top. So no more sunning for me!
    Nothing better than a little "eye candy" when you go to the Drs!!! My plastic surgeon I went ot 7 yrs ago for my breast reduction was that way too. He kind of flirted with me a bit and I gotta tell you, man that was some good harmless fun! Plus he was not only good looking but RICH & good looking!! lol. My thoughts....enjoy the view!! :)
    Have a great day & thanks agin for this important reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that totally. I read an article years ago about a young girl getting skin cancer from tanning beds and ever since that I stopped laying in the sun and tanning beds. Well I lay in the sun a bit, but not like I use too. My grandmother had quite a lot of spots removed from her in her years past, so I am trying to use that as an example to be more careful. I have had a couple little spots that they worried about but everything turned out to be fine. Thank you for this important reminder post! Everyone should get check ups regularly. Have a great day Kasey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that a long time ago the sun was not our friend. I stopped laying out in the sun maybe 15 years ago. I am pale all the time. I do get some sun from walking everyday, so that is my vitamin c for the day. Great post Kasey!
    Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete