Bloom!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vacationing In My Hometown




I'm staying in San Diego for seven days, in the  house I moved out of when I was 19 years old.  My bedroom is still warm and cozy, and I found a few familiar things still left in the dresser drawers.  My Mom wants to know what I want to do with these things.  She's had them over 36 years stored away in about the same condition as I had left them.  A few ribbons from my gymnastic and swimming days, a pink and blue dinosaur from a high school boyfriend, and of course pictures from all the fun days we had in our youth.  I'm not much for keeping things, and I think I may just clear some of the things out, but I'll keep the pictures for sure, and not look back at the rest.   My home has our son's things packed away in Rubbermaid containers piled sky high in his closet.  He moved out and onto college over five years ago.  It's great to be back in my childhood home, and I love visiting with my Mom and Dad.  My son flew down for his two days off from San Francisco, and has already gone home.  My brother took me to the old lake near our home, and we fed the ducks and geese some bread today.  It's still nice to have my memories of jogging around the lake with our family dog, Rusty. He would run ahead (no leash laws back then) and he would flush out the rabbits, and then he would circle back to check up on me, and then off he would run.  Those days seemed a lot less complicated.
My Mom thinks I eat too much, but she and my Dad don't eat much anymore.  They get full fast.  They can go hours without eating anything, and I'm having a hard time with that.  We have lots of yogurt in the house, but I looked at it, and it has 11 grams of sugar.  Staying at 15 grams or below of sugar is hard when it's not planned ahead of time!  We usually grab something while we are out, and I am trying to make the best choices I can.  Tonight we ate dinner over at the Soup Plantation.  My favorite place ever!  I ate fresh veges, great salads, french onion soup, and some chili.  I  had to get a very small bowl of frozen yogurt that probably  wasn't the best thing but I am not perfect,  and also on vacation!  Yesterday we drove to La Jolla to see the seals, and we found the Burger Lounge that Jorge Cruise recommended.  My Mom and I split the Grass fed beef burger, and a great tasting salad.    The hardest thing I've found so far was eating good on the flight over on Sunday.  I signed up for the vegetarian meal, and was offered a Turkey Sandwich or Pasta with Chicken.  I ate a turkey sandwich from Starbucks at the airport so I got the pasta (1/2 cup), and  threw my chocolate cake away.  By the time I flew in and weighed myself the next day I had gained 3 lbs.  Now I have at least gone back to my weight of 171lb.  Flying home this coming Sunday. I've been reading all your blogs and happy to hear about your weight loss!   Take Care...

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning Kasey!! It was such a nice surprise to see your blog entry and I am so happy ot hear that your trip is going well. My parents only live 20 minutes away & they still live in the home I grew up in. Having my parents around is such a blessing and I am so thankful that I God placed me in their care. I am 44 but to this day, they still worriey about me and I couldnt live without them...although some day, I know that I will have to say goodbye to them. I will never be ready for that day. So enjoy your trip & dont stress over being perfect. Enjoy the time with your family. A little frozen yogurt...not a big deal & if you enjoyed it....worth every calorie! I am going on a cruise in Feb with my husband & my 2 daughters. We havent been on a vacation in yrs & my girls have never been on a cruise. I plan to enjoy myself within reason, exercise on the ship daily but I am not going to stress over the food. I am going to enjoy the company & remember that it is just food...nourishment for my body. I will deal with any gains when I get home.
    Have a fantastic rest of the week!!! Keep in touch!!
    Love & Blessings!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kasey, I loved reading your blog. It made me feel like I was visiting my younger days. Wishing my parents were still alive to visit and going through all your childhood memories. Wow you have to cherish those times. Dont worry about the little slip ups...when you get home you will be right back on track. Enjoy the rest of your visit and have a safe trip back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Kasey, I lost my mom about 8 years ago and also wish I could spend some time with her again. I know how hard it is to eat when you are not at home. And other people really don't understand the BFC way too much. Have a great visit. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Kasey. It was great to see your blog entry. Enjoy your time with your family, Sounds like you have a lot of nice memories there. I know you'll get back on track when you get home. I'm planning to make a blog entry today. I think people get tired of the same "I'm sort of doing this plan story, with no results". I think I'm gonna try to make it comical, we'll see?

    ReplyDelete