Bloom!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

We Scream For Ice Cream!

Okay, I admit I have a weakness for ICE CREAM!   Dark Chocolate too apparently but hey, why not mix them together since they are found in my lifestyle book, The Belly Fat Cure!  I don't miss sugar in my coffee, or soda's during my lunch break that I was so fond of before.  Lucky me I wasn't born with a silver spoon of Aspartame in my mouth,  and  I find Stevia,  to my own taste buds be true, telling me it taste awful!   So I am ending my 16th week of following the BFC plan, with a sweet tooth that is only craving  Dark Chocolate, and now longing for a little adventure: ICE CREAM!   I am becoming a bit more smart  on The Belly Fat Cure, and I am making this Ice Cream following the Belly Good guidelines of course!

My shopping places have changed and include Down to Earth, Alive and Well,  Wholefoods, and Costco  for most of my ingredients. On the weekends I make  a trip to buy my fresh produce from the Upcountry Farms, and also from the farmers who sell fresh produce at our local Swap  Meet  (see my former blogs).  Why  Clemmy's Ice Cream  isn't found  in any of our stores is beyond reason!  You see, Clemmy's Ice Cream gets the official Belly Fat Cure seal of approval. 

So last weekend my goal was to buy a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, and follow the ingredients in the Belly Fat Cure book to the letter.  No cheating whatsoever... My 1.5 qt. Ice Cream maker was on sale at Macy's for twenty dollars off, such a deal, and  the total came to 50.00 dollars.  Next I went to a place called Mana Foods in Paia.  It was a Hippy town in the 60's,  a  Windsurfing town in the late 70, 80, and 90's, and now it's just a mix of young, old,  and  tourist who like to Hang Loose and  shop, eat, and stroll up and down the two main streets that make Paia a town.  Can you guess where I found the Clemmy's Ice Cream with the  little BFC blue seal on it's front?  Yep, in  Mana Foods for 2.99 cent.  Here's the really good part,  the total for making my first Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream came to 69.00 dollars!  Now Clemmy's was looking even better, but I had my "maker"  at home all washed,  and ready to use.  My ingredients were paid for and already in the shopping bag!  

Remember when I said, Stevia, and I could never be friends, or something like this?  I found my sugar replacement in  Emerald Forest Brand called XYLITOL.  Jorge Cruise says Xylitol is a sugar alcohol derived from the fiber of various fruits and vegetables, and it could come from Birch trees.  The Emerald Forest brand gets Xylitol from U.S. grown Birch Trees.  He goes onto say, Finland found in it's research, that  it may prevent the advancement of osteoporosis.   I couldn't find  Maltitol Sweetener Syrup,  a sugar alcohol, so I did substitute this one item.

If you can't find  Clemmy's  Ice Cream in your store's, then go ahead and splurge!  My Vanilla Ice Cream came out  delicious, and it's super easy to make!  I will add a bit of coffee next time and  I did add a little  Green and Black's Organic Cocoa Powder.  One serving size of ice cream  is 1/2 cup.  So don't go all nuts!   S/C Value = 0/0.

10 comments:

  1. HI Kasey,

    Its funny how just when you finally bought an ice cream maker, then you found clemmys. I don't have a ice cream maker, but I can buy clemmys at Henrys market near me. I would really love to make my own some day.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this ice cream all the time and i do have it every night! Such an easy recipe. I also make the glaze for his brownies on pg.213 for sauce for the ice cream, oh my, it's just delicious. Make a batch and just keep it in the fridge and when you want to put it on your ice cream, scoop out some and micro for about 10 seconds. Sometimes i add almonds and unsweetened coconut and it tastes like an almond joy!! The malitol syrup can be found at carbsmart.com I too hate stevia and use xylitol or the malitol syrup, no after taste what so ever. Where did you find that big bag of xylitol? Just let me know, thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the big bag of Xylitol at Mana Foods for $8.00. It's expensive, but it looks & taste just like sugar, and has no aftertaste. Thanks Lisa, I'll make the glaze and try it. Already have a bag of the unsweetened coconut Yum... Have you ever changed the recipe to 1/2 and 1/2 in place of whipping cream? Freezing the left over ice cream changes the smooth texture... until it's thawed a little. Welcome Helen Kay, you may be new to blogging, but I like your info. and you're getting the hang of it! Have a great week girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kasey...i don't use half and half because it has more carbs/sugar than regular cream. At least the ones i've seen. Does Mana Foods have a website? It's totally worth the cost because i hate that after taste. Wait until you put the glaze on your ice cream it kind of hardens, oh your going to love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first attempt to make ice cream was a little funny...I was running the ice cream maker with all the ingredients and did not know I had to put ice in it with the rock salt...lol. Anyway I finally got it to turn out and it was so good, I did make mine with coffee in it. I just found clemmy's here at whole foods but it cost 3.99 for that little pint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa I can send you a bag of Xylitol. The weight of this bag is 1 lb. Lemme know... Anyone else? I'm making another batch over the weekend and to Diana: yep, trying it with coffee;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually found some at iherb.com. It's called Xylo-Sweet, but thanks anyway. I've been experimenting with these sweeteners and xylitol is the best so maybe if i look hard enough i can find it at our grocery store. Diana, you can find an electric ice cream maker that is soooo much easier than adding the ice and salt. I found mine in a kitchen store in our mall for $20. It's so worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa how many quarts is it? That's a great buy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kasey...it's a Hamilton Beach 2 quart.

    ReplyDelete